With the recent news of the declining population of bees, it is no wonder that more people are creating awareness and looking for ways to conserve honey. Around the world, there is estimated to be more than 25,000 species of bees. An average bee colony will have about 30,000 to 60,000 bees with each worker bee estimated to live to about 45 days during the summer months.
At about 64 calories per one tablespoon, honey is not only great in tea and on waffles but they are also chock full of a lot of hidden benefits.
Here are 7 little known but beneficial facts about consuming honey on a daily basis.
1. Honey is considered to be a terrific antioxidant. Because of this, a regular consumption of honey will result in the body continually cleansing itself of toxins.
Furthermore, honey has plenty of antibacterial properties that can help with keeping the skin clear and clean.
2. The sugar that is found in honey is made of a different composition than that of other sweeteners and as such, it can help in boosting your metabolism and helping in weight loss.
3. Honey helps to decrease levels of cholesterol because honey contains so many antioxidant properties that it can help fight off excess cholesterol.
4. Drinking some honey with warm water can help protect your heart. The antioxidants found in honey have been shown to help prevent arteries from narrowing.
Depending on the place where the arteries are narrowing, this can lead to a heart attack, memory deterioration and also headaches.
5. Research has shown that honey can help stave off stress, rejuvenate the cellular antioxidant defense system and help improve memory.
6. Honey has also been shown to help in the functioning of the brain since it is chock full of calcium which is easily processed and used by the brain.
7. Honey can help with sleep as well because it will increase the level of insulin in the blood which will then release serotonin.Serotonin then forces the release of melatonin which is a hormone that helps one get into deep, sound sleep.